Sunday, 11 August 2013


Today Jan, Kevin and I drove to Bath and joined a walking tour of the city seeing all the highlights and different architectures of buildings built with Bath Stone a white stone quarried in the area.

Beautiful Orange Grove

The Abbey Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, Bath, commonly known as Bath Abbey

The Market Pillar in Market Place from 1768 where the price was agreed and paid here hence 'Pay on the Nail'
The Circus was the masterpiece of John Wood the Elder. The striking architecture has spawned numerous theories to explain its stark originality. Viewed from the air it forms the shape of a key, perhaps a Masonic symbol? John Wood is also thought to have taken inspiration from the ancient standing stones of nearby Stanton Drew and from Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem. The park in the centre's circumference is exactly the size of the nearby Stonehenge, it is thought the architect was showing his link to past architect. Either way, the Circus is a stupendous creative accomplishment and one of the key reasons Bath was awarded the title of World Heritage Site by UNESCO. The frontages of the 33 houses make up the Circus and are all uniform.

Built between 1767 – 1774 to the designs of the architect John Wood the Younger, the Royal Crescent is justly considered one of the finest achievements of 18th century urban architecture and represents the highest point of Palladian architecture in Bath.

No 1 Royal Crescent

Concert Hall

King's Bath

The Kings Spring from which the drinking water is fountained
After the walking tour we had lunch and then went to the Roman Baths and Temple of Aqua Sulis Minerva which are among the finest Roman remains in Britain.

Model of the Temple 

The Gorgon's head relief from the outside of the temple

Relief of Minerva
Moon Goddess Luna

Dog Pipe clay figurine associated with Goddess Diana

Three Mother Goddesses

Rosmerta Celtic Goddess known as the Great Provider

Head of Minerva found in 1727 

Steps into the temple

The bath's overflow

Cold Pool

We walked along the river to the Pulteney Bridge on of only three bridges in the world which has shops/buildings along the edges. We found a lovely tea room for afternoon tea overlooking the horseshoe cascades.

Pulteney Bridge

Shops and tearoom on the bridge

View whilst having our afternoon tea

No comments: