Friday 2 November 2012

Gratitude Day 3 - Emergency Services

Stock Photograph by Department of Defense Public Domain Free, Public Domain Image 

Today I am grateful to the emergency service workers especially the fire fighters after battling our blaze here in Edgeworth yesterday and last night.

The grass fire at Edgeworth and Argenton flared in gusty winds last night, putting residents of Edgeworth and Agenton on notice as the fire pushed towards their homes.

The Rural Fire Service had hoped a southerly change would push the fire back on itself, causing it to burn out, however a wind change after sunset changed the conditions.

The fire was in marshy, swampy areas causing access difficulties for the fire crews.

120 Rural Fire Service and Rescue NSW firefighters were sent to the area, to contain the blaze and carry out property protection and consult with residents. Backburning and favourable weather conditions healped the firefighters. Earlier in the day, the fire that temporarily closed rail services on the Central Coast rail line between Morisset and Hamilton due to heavy smoke and the fire burning about 400 metres from Cockle Creek Station. At 11pm last night residences evacuated and fled their homes in Edgeworth after the bush fire jumped the containment lines and burnt within metres of their properties.


The fire which burnt about 200 hectares of bushland between Teralba, Argenton, Barnsley and Edgeworth jumped containment lines as a strong southerly breeze took hold around 9.15pm. At 10.30p.m. the wind picked up and the flames once again headed for the suburb.

Approximately 5,500 homes lost power temporarily in Edgeworth, West Wallsend and Cameron Park.

With much cooler temperatures today I hope that the fire is able to be put totally under control and the fire fighters may then have the much needed rest they deserve. There are still sirens of fire engines rushing towards Barnsley and helicopters overhead at the present time, and the wind is still gushing every few minutes.

Recently there were changes to the state's workers' compensation laws to save hundreds of million of dollars, and the New South Wales Fire Brigade Employee's Union had to take strike action for the first time in 56 years, early this year to fight for their rights of compensation if injured whilst conducting there life saving jobs.

I can't imagine how this could have needed to take place when these amazing people risk their own lives to help others to save both property and life when needed. It is something I am ashamed of to think that we had to cause this much anguish to these people who serve us on a daily basis. They deserve to have laws in place to protect themselves and their families who live with the real risk of their loved ones being injured or worse in the line of duty.

I found these beautiful poems that I thought I would share with you.

This poem Arthur Unknown from http://earth.vol.com

A FIRE FIGHTER'S PLEDGE

I promise concern for others. A willingness to help all those in need.
I promise courage - courage to face and conquer my fears.
Courage to share and endure the ordeal of those who need me.
I promise strength - Strength of heart to bear whatever burdens might be placed upon me.
Strength of body to deliver to safety all those placed within my care.
I promise the wisdom to lead, the compassion to comfort, and the love to serve unselfishly whenever I am called.

Written by Constance a 13yr old daughter of a fireman in  Dec 2009

FIREMAN FLIGHT

Busting out windows,
kicking down doors.
That's what my daddy
the fire fighter's for.

To put out our house fires,
and keep our pets safe.
Forever they protect,
thought soon death they may face.

Terrible, harmful flames,
are no peril for them.
For they know a fireman's tears turn,
to rain when they go to heaven.

They bolt form the table,
or right from the bed.
Think of my words,
the words you have read.

As I write by a candle,
I bid you good night.
Pray for a fireman
a heavenly fireman's flight.

Dedicated to her daddy
Corey Lee Fehr Sr. on his birthday.

This poem Arthur Unknown from http://earth.vol.com

A FIREMAN'S WIFE

The table's set, the meal's prepared, our guests will soon arrive.
My husband once more disappears with a hope of keeping a child alive.
While waiting at home again alone, our plans having gone awry.
My first impulse is merely to sit down and cry.
But soon again I realise the importance of my life,
when I agreed to take on the duties of being a fireman's wife.
While there are many drawbacks, I'll take them in my stride.
The gusting winds and raging flames may be his final fate,
But with God's help I can remain my fireman's faithful mate.

May we all think of these brave souls today and send them safety, love and support as they continue to fight for our lives and homes.

Blessed Be.

http://www.wallpaperzzz.com












No comments: