Monday 12 November 2012

Gratitude Day 13 Actions are louder than Words


Today I am grateful for my wonderful husband. He is always totally supportive of anything that I wish to do, he truly believes in allowing me to be the person I am meant to be and in allowing this he will get the best from my in return.

Kevin watching sunset at One Tree Hill Hamilton Island in July.

He is never questioning of any time I wish to have away from him to attend workshops, craft groups, just lunching with the girls, holidays with girlfriends just to name a few. I am in constant gratitude for this as many of my girlfriends do not receive this support from their partners and I see first hand how difficult it is for them to be wholly who they are suppose to be. 

We believe that from the interactions we have with others this enhances us as an individuals and then when we have time together it is with more meaning on all sorts of levels. I have more conversation as I can share the things I have done without him, as well as the old saying absence makes the heart grow stronger we really do enjoy our time together more, therefore we appreciate each other more. My growth in learning more about myself and the things I am doing therefore makes me a stronger and more well developed person and therefore a better partner.

Kevin also has interests outside of me, he regularly attends a men's group and they occasionally have weekends away or special days. Once a year at least he will go interstate to see his family and I allow him this special time alone, so he can focus fully on the people he is visiting without worrying about weather I am included - comfortable etc all those things that spouses feel. Then every second year he flys interstate to visit with his long term best friend who is a lovely lady and spends a few days with her, this I definitely allow him to do without me. We have very different interactions with friends and family with and without our partners, it is a closer more intimate conversation we have when our partners are not present, it is also nice to have someone to talk to about our partners (now I do not mean to put down and complain about - but to speak about and get another's opinion of etc). I am sure we are not even in our activities away from each other, however this may level out once Kevin has more time and retires, as I have the previlage of having each day to myself.

Photo Source http://uslibertyjournal.blogspot.com.au
As I have spoken about I have been sick for about a week and therefore unable to visit my mother in the nursing home (due to contamination risks with my germs). These visits mean a great deal to her as she has not much to look forward to in the nursing home, so Kevin has for the last two days visited in my place. He always visits with me on weekend, be he has gone and been happy to feed her and talk with her, this action means more than any words could say.

Words carry a lot of weight in this world, from how we say them to what we say with them, but it is through our actions that we bring things into being. This is what we mean when we say to one another that actions speak louder than words. In many cases, what we say doesn't necessarily line up with what we are doing, and it is here that it becomes clear that it’s easier to talk about doing something than it is to actually do something. At the same time, it’s easy to keep doing something that we don’t necessarily acknowledge ourselves doing verbally. It’s good for all of us to take a look every once and a while to make sure there is alignment between what we say and what we do.

For example, it’s easy to talk about our dreams, but it takes a lot more energy to take the many small steps that lead to bringing our dreams into reality. If all we ever do is talk about it, we begin to lose faith in ourselves because nothing changes on the external level. In this way, being all talk and no action is actually a form of self-sabotage. It’s also useful to examine our actions to see if, through them, we are following through on our words. For example, in expressing concern about the environment, we can look to make sure that we are taking the simple steps we can take to put that concern into action.

Photo Source http://thisisabuggslife.wordpress.com
It’s always helpful to observe what we talk about and who we say we are, and then to observe what we actually do in the world. Sometimes we realize our actions haven’t caught up with what we are saying, and at other times we see that we might change our words in a way that it will more adequately reflect what we do in the world. Either way, the more we align our words and our deeds, the clearer we are in expressing our truth in the world, and the more powerful we are in bringing it into reality.

No comments: